My BIG Announcement & the Journey

I finally made a BIG decision….31 years after I was told I had severe osteoarthritis in my left knee.

On November 9, 2017 I will have my knee replaced with a custom joint from Conformis.

That’s 31 years of figuring out how to prolong and preserve my knee while finding a way to stay active, keep fit, stay sane (well, that’s debatable) and enjoy a high quality of life.

Those of you who suffer from knee pain, or any kind of chronic pain, know what I am talking about – it is a daily challenge to do the activities that help, not hurt.

Since I made this decision, I want to share the Journey with you from now, through surgery, and rehab… the concerns, questions, emotions, pain, triumph… each week I will make a live video (Facebook – Healthy Knees page – be sure to “like” and “follow” the page to get the latest updates).

Here’s the rather emotional big announcement….and some cool details about the process for a custom knee.  Find out what is different –

Robin's Big Announcement

Robin's big announcement

Posted by Healthy Knees on Tuesday, September 26, 2017

31 years of taking care of my knee is also 31 years of my “test kitchen” to see what works (and what to stay away from) – all put into the Healthy Knees programs for you.

I wish you the very best in health,

~Robin

PS – Here’s the link to the Healthy Knees Facebook page

get on over there to “like” and “follow” the page so you are the first to hear about the journey.  Later this week I’ll be in Telluride, Colorado meeting up with high-level fitness folks.  I’m going to gather a few to talk about “How much pain is enough?” and when it’s time to make those big decisions.

6 Comments

• Kathie Street says:

Way to go Robin!!!! I’m getting tired of painful knees too, but I’m really trying to hold out until 60 (1 year, 8 months and 19 days, but who’s counting?!). Are you having both done or just one? Thanks for being so open about this. It’s nice to know we aren’t alone.

• Robin Robertson says:

One knee to start, although both qualify. My reasoning (at the suggestion of my doctor) is that by replacing the worst of the pair, I may get more “life” out of the other since, hopefully, I will be correcting for imbalances caused by favoring the worst knee. Plus, my left knee is fairly complicated because of all the work I’ve had done on it. But this “custom” knee is the game changer!

• Rob Gordon says:

I’m really disappointed that you are going this route. Not because I disagree with your decision, but only because after following you for some time, and the good marks you gave he PRP therapy, led me to try doing the injections which I will be doing this Friday on both knees.

I wish you well.

Rob

• Robin Robertson says:

Rob,
      I totally believe and support the PRP injections. They helped me reduce pain longer than any other method I could imagine. My problem was not just about pain, but mechanical dysfunction in my knee. The changes in my bones because of the arthritis are causing an increasing reduction in range of motion (walking down stairs is now not possible with a normal gait) which is causing other problems with my hips and back. My knee is beyond the benefits that PRP can offer. I was seriously considering stem cell as the next “non-surgical” option but, frankly, the $$ was too high for a risky return. I’m holding out for my right knee though! The arthritis on my right is not as severe and I have more hope for biologic solutions there.
      I wish you all the best – let me know how it goes with your PRP injections!
      ~Robin

• Do you feel the upright bike is preferable to a semi-recumbent? I am looking at both for an indoor cycle and can’t find anything on which might be better. I am trying to avoid arthroscopic surgery on my knee, and need to get my weight down for starters..(by 40 lbs. )
    Thanks for any information you can provide-
    Sionán

• Robin Robertson says:

Upright or recumbent is largely a matter of comfort. I have found that the “spinning” style upright bike tends to have the pedals spaces more like a road bike. The recumbent bikes I’ve used, along with the upright “program” bikes (the kind where you can set up a pre-programmed workout) tend to have pedals set a little wider apart. This matters because it may not feel good on your knees. Try out a bunch of bikes and make your decision from there. The Peloton upright bike is a cool option because you can follow classes – but you CANNOT adjust the handlebar fore/aft which may make your reach too long.

Being able to secure your feet to the pedals, by straps or cleats, will make a big difference in pedaling efficiency.

I just did a quick review of a study of electromyography (measuring what muscles are stimulated) for upright vs recumbent and there was no statistical difference in peak muscle activity for the four muscles studied (quad muscle rectus femoris, hamstring muscle semitendinosus, front of shin tibialis anterior, and calf muscle medial gastrocnemius). Please note – there are many more leg muscles than these involved in cycling – but these were the ones measured for the study. ELECTROMYOGRAPHY DURING PEDALING ON UPRIGHT AND RECUMBENT ERGOMETER